The Singapore Academy of Law’s vision is to make Singapore the legal hub of Asia. We work with our stakeholders to set new precedents of excellence in Singapore law through developing thought leadership, world-class infrastructure and legal solutions. As a body established by statute, SAL also undertakes statutory functions such as stakeholding services and appointment of Senior Counsel, Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public.
About this role
We are looking to appoint a proven leader to bring together SAL’s existing legal research, industry analysis, law reform and promotion of Singapore law activities with the projects undertaken by SAL’s subsidiary the Asian Business Law Institute (ABLI).
Working directly with the Chief Executive, SAL’s leadership team and senior legal industry representatives, the role will drive SAL’s contributions to and development of national and international legal research in areas of strategic importance for the development and promotion of Singapore legal thought.
(A) Research & Analysis:
Formulating and executing strategies to establish SAL’s legal research and industry analysis to fulfil the following objectives:
- Facilitate greater coordination and opportunities for collaboration on legal research and law reform initiatives with local stakeholders and international partners.
- Promote the profile of Singapore as a global legal solutions hub.
- Consider research proposals or reform in areas of concern to SAL members and new cutting-edge areas (e.g. AI generated derivative works).
- Formulate and propose areas of focus to a commissioning/advisory panel.
- Create and manage specialist working groups and advisory panels to assist in development of research or reforms.
- Facilitate research or reform through discussions of issues.
- Represent SAL/ABLI in relevant Singapore government committees as required.
(B) Representation & Advocacy:
Formulating and executing strategies to drive convergence of Asian commercial laws and promote awareness of Singapore commercial laws to fulfil the following objectives:
- Establish ABLI as the go-to regional think-tank for deep research and practical guidance to facilitate cross-border commercial transactions in Asia.
- Represent ABLI in local and international consultations and forums to raise awareness of and inform the work of ABLI beyond current projects.
- Cultivate business networks and research partnerships with key government, business, legal, and academic thought leaders relevant to the work of ABLI.
- Establish outcomes and key results metrics for the work of ABLI and implement a reporting and continuous review process to keep key partners/stakeholders engaged and updated on ABLI’s progress in advancing its mission.
- Ensure that ABLI upholds good corporate governance and continues to be financially-sustainable in its operations.
- Develop and execute plans (e.g. fundraising, monetisation of Intellectual Property) to financially support ABLI’s mission.
- Develop and execute projects to drive promotion of Singapore Law
(C) Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership and coaching to teams.
- Monitor and ensure the attainment of agreed outcomes and key results .
- Maintain oversight of activity and output of various research projects/ teams and provide guidance as required.
- Oversee financial management and resource planning to run the team effectively and in compliance with SAL’s governance structures and policies.
Skills and Qualifications
- Demonstrated skills in evaluation, analysis, insight and policy development;
- A track record of supporting and influencing internal and external stakeholders, and local and international partners, across varying levels of seniority;
- Substantial experience participating in speaking engagements and interacting with media;
- Experience in strategic planning and management of professional /expert teams or organisations;
- Commitment to supporting and developing colleagues to succeed with creativity, energy and rigour;
- At least 10 years’ working experience in the legal industry with an advanced degree in the law (preferably in one or more of the following areas: commercial law, international trade, technology law);
- Experience working in research institutions, think-tanks or policy units will be an advantage.
Interested candidates are invited to apply here.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.