The Singapore Academy of Law’s vision is to make Singapore the legal hub of Asia. We work with our stakeholders to set new precedents of excellence in Singapore law through developing thought leadership, world-class infrastructure and legal solutions. As a body established by statute, SAL also undertakes statutory functions such as stakeholding services and appointment of Senior Counsel, Commissioners for Oaths and Notaries Public.
- Shape content through editing by focusing on content structure, grammar and spelling, and ensuring conformity with house style.
- Improve content by providing constructive comments on manuscript; working on the flow of the content; helping authors to effectively bring their point across.
- See manuscript through all production stages of the publishing process (ie, from manuscript to final product) for both print and online content (including law books, journals, judgments, online articles).
- Manage authors and freelancers, eg, guide authors through the publishing process, obtain approval for edited manuscripts, chart a publishing schedule, monitor deadlines and follow up to ensure timeliness of project.
- Ensure quality of the work is first-rate. Publications are published in a timely manner.
- Work with Content Creation team to identify content that can be repurposed or adapted.
- Maintain warm, professional relationships with external (authors, legal officers and freelancers) and internal (intra-departmental) stakeholders.
- Administrative duties, eg, e-mail chasers, arrange payment for typesetter/ tablers / cover designers once project is completed, provide book highlights to Sales & Marketing for writing marketing copy, e-publishing articles on Journals Online, putting together costings, track appeal outcomes, etc.
Skills and Qualifications
- Have a love for the written word
- Excellent command of the English language, both spoken and written
- A good Degree with 3-5 years of prior academic editing/publishing experience is preferred
- Knowledge of the publishing process and familiarity with editorial milestones
- Knowledge of web editing and web publishing will have an advantage
- Quick to grasp house style requirements
- Meticulous and organised with an eagle eye for detail
- Able to multi-task and cope with multiple publications concurrently
- Have a keen awareness of deadlines
- Excellent time management skills and able to work under pressure
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Flexible and adaptable to change
- Works well individually and in a group
- Ability to learn on the job and work independently
- Candidates with formal legal training will have an advantage
- Proficient in Microsoft Word; knowledge of Adobe FrameMaker will have an advantage
Interested candidates are invited to apply here.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.